Any state that legalizes adult-use cannabis faces many decisions as it sets up a regulatory structure. All states currently impose excise taxes on recreational cannabis, but the questions of how much to tax and how to tax are complex.
Today at 12pm EST / 3pm PST, our own Hilary Bricken will join the panelists listed below to explore the evolving theory and practice of cannabis tax policy. This panel will discuss a range of issues including the choice of an effective tax base (weight of flower and trim, THC amount, percentage of price), to the appropriate tax burden levied upon cannabis businesses.
- Ulrik Boesen, senior policy analyst, Tax Foundation
- Hilary Bricken, attorney, Harris Bricken
- Benjamin Leff, professor, American University Law School
- Pat Oglesby, founder, The Center for New Revenue
- Shaleen Title, distinguished cannabis policy practitioner in residence, Drug Enforcement and Policy Center
We hope to see you soon!